Monday, August 13, 2012

The Best Idea EVER!

I have the crappiest pin cushion.  It is one of those plastic magnetic kidney shaped ones that is supposed to hold all your pins neatly for you.  It also has a hole in the middle of it which holds a seam ripper (which is more awkward than anything).  I bought it in a clearance bin for $2 and although I thought it was a great buy at the time, I dropped it (and it smashed - messing up the magnets and their pin holding abilities) and the "once a rad deal" is now the bane of my sewing existence.  It still sort of does the job so I can't rationalize buying a new one but when I saw this amazing idea (link) from Alyssa at Elemental Carbon - my mind was blown. Behold - and ordinary pretty dish:
(source)

How pleasant! Now check out the secret underneath:
(source)
Bam! Thrifted vintage plate turned amazing magnetic pin dish! Brilliant! Seriously - this is the best idea I've seen in ages and although it could be influenced by a few recent (and completely infuriating) battles with my current pin cushion, I just love this!  Since I already asked for a new pin cushion for my birthday this year I think I'll hold off on making one just yet - but come the 26th if there are no functional pin holding devices in my house I'm going thrift shopping for a dish! Hooray! What do you think? Maybe I should make one anyways and have a spare around...

4 comments:

  1. That's a great idea.I always hate when pins end up all over the place. Problem solved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate! Thank you so much for sharing my pictures and link! I'm glad you enjoyed this project. It definitely beats the average pincushion :)

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep my pins in a vintage dish, but I never thought to add magnets to it! Very clever ^_^

    ReplyDelete